When You Hear Thunder,
Lightning is Near !
Immediately head indoors!
- Large, permanent building
- Fully-enclosed metal vehicle (cars, vansor pickup trucks)
- Lowest elevation area
- Tall objects (trees/poles)
- Small rain and sun shelters
- Large, open areas
- Wet areas
- Elevated areas
- All metal objects including, golf clubs, golf carts, fences, electrical and maintenance machinery and power lines.
Discontinuing Play in Competitions
The USGA emphasizes that players in a competition have the right to stop play if they think lightning threatens them, even though the committee may not have authorized it specifically by signal, (Rules 6-8 and 33-2d).
National Lightning Safety Institute • www.lightningsafety.com
American Meteorological Society • www.ametsoc.org
United States Golf Association • www.usga.org